A Leek care home must improve after inspectors discovered that a resident had accidentally been given an “overdose”. Wall Hill Care Home on Broad Street was told it ‘requires improvement’ following an unannounced inspection on November 14 last year.
The home, which supports people living with dementia and physical disabilities, was previously deemed ‘good’ in June 2022. The latest Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspection found that a resident prescribed ‘when required’ medication was given three tablets in a day, when no more than two should be administered in 24 hours.
Inspectors said the “error had not been identified and no action had been taken to reduce the risk of reoccurrence”, adding that the home contacted the pharmacy after the inspection and were told it “would not have placed the person at risk of harm”.
The inspection also found no safeguarding referrals were made after a resident threw a cup at another person, and when a service user had made allegations of theft. Inspectors also observed the medicines trolley being unlocked while a member of staff was…