A WARNING has been issued to pet owners telling them to be “vigilant” when walking their dogs, after a Labrador was rushed to the vets – because he swallowed a kebab stick.
The owners were worried two-year-old Teddy had eaten a fish on a recent trip to the beach.
He was vomiting and yelping in pain so they took him to a vets near Wellington.
Cave Veterinary Specialists, in West Buckland, operated on Teddy and found the two-inch kebab stick.
The stick had punctured the dogs stomach and spleen.
“Teddy was in a lot of pain and discomfort so we carried out an ultrasound examination to try to identify the problem,” said Natasha Dickinson, from Cave’s imaging team.
“It showed a clear thickening of the stomach wall, possibly indicating it had been pierced by a foreign object. It also highlighted the presence of hyperechoic fat surrounding the spleen, indicating inflammation or a rupture.
“A more in-depth investigation showed a two-inch linear object which had passed though the spleen, which was clearly an immediate cause for concern.